A tiny SMS sender with some fun features. I created this small application
for my personal use, but I'm placing it here by request of some friends.
Here you can read some basic instructions about Iris usage. Iris has a main screen where
you can type and variously edit your SMS text (or read the unencrypted text of an Iris-encrypted
incoming SMS message), with a main menu to the right and a contextual menu to the left.
The top bar of this screen contains the count of characters in your SMS, and the number of
SMS you will be required to send according to the message length and the number of recipients
you have selected (whenever the number of SMS is above 1 this count will appear in red).
In the bottom pane you see all the recipients you have selected for this SMS, with their names
and numbers (or only with numbers when you type a number which is not in your device's contacts
list). To send the message just click Send. The right menu offers several features, illustrated
in the pictures below (click on any picture to see the full size image):
- recipients: you can select them from your contacts list, directly type a
phone number, quickly pick one of your favorite contacts, or clear all the
- shrink: shrink the SMS text to reduce its characters count wherever possible,
using the specified shrinking parameters.
- pascalize: another technique used to reduce SMS characters count by removing
spaces and marking word boundaries with uppercase (e.g. this is a sample becomes
- undo: undo last operation on text.
- cypher submenu: encrypt or decrypt text or change it in some fancy ways,
like mirroring (all the characters of the message are reversed), token-mirroring (the characters
of each word are reversed), offset + or - (add a specified positive or negative value to the
all the characters codes, the old "Caesar's cypher").
- preset: pick a predefined message text from a list. The list can be built from
an XML file using the Presets Builder utility.
- file: load text from a file or save text to a file.
- clear: clear current text and eventually recipients.
- settings: change Iris general settings and define your favorite contacts,
which are the contacts appearing in Menu/Recipients you can select with just a click.
In password you can enter the encryption password: choose yours and give it
to all the recipients you will send encrypted SMS. In offset you can enter
a value to add or subtract to character codes when offsetting them as explained above.
In SMS interception you can enable or disable the interception of Iris encrypted
SMS messages (when enabled and your device receives an SMS encrypted with Iris it
will automatically launch Iris and show you the decrypted message) and choose a sound
effect for 'encrypted SMS received' notification. Finally, in Favorites
you can enter up to 5 favorite numbers to quickly send SMS to (they will appear in
- history: see a list of sent messages and eventually pick the text of any